Field Reports1 Mar, 2008 By: Thomas Haire, Jacqueline Renfrow Response
• Cannella Response Television will be among the first to use Google TV Ads to plan and place short-form DRTV ads for Central Life Sciences, set to begin airing in March.
• Think tank The Logical Step has launched a fourth division — The Logical University — that will educate DR marketers on comprehensive direct-to-consumer campaigns.
• Hawthorne Direct is awarded three 2007 Blingy Awards for inspiration and creativity within video advertising. The two first-place awards were for the Nova Skin Care and Humminbird Fish Finding System long-form campaigns, and the third-place award was for an Eons.com short-form campaign.
Nova Skin Care
• Imagine Fulfillment Services (IFS) supplied storage space for memorabilia from Survivor: China , which was later auctioned off to benefit the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. IFS also helped arrange a partnership with eBay to build a landing page, so that viewers could see the auction items.
• WorldLink, a multiplatform advertising sales firm, enters into an agreement with the NHL Network to oversee all direct response spots and long-form advertising sales.
• Advertising agency Quigley-Simpson wins 10 advertising and marketing industry awards in 2007 for its work on VISA, Reunion.com and Bella & Birch.
CBS and TiVo Team Up
"As more and more television viewers add the DVR to their home entertainment systems and make the transition from linear to non-linear viewers, we at the networks must adapt to serve both these newly empowered viewers and the advertisers seeking to communicate with them," says David F. Poltrack, chief research officer for CBS and president of CBS Vision.
CBS will use TiVo's StopWatch service, which measures, second-by-second, program and commercial ratings for live and time-shifted viewing. The end result for CBS will be to develop and measure new strategies to deliver the best results for its advertising clients, including learning how to structure pods and interstitials to better keep audience attention during commercial breaks. CBS will also learn how to develop new promotional strategies for time-shifted viewers.
"There is no more important issue to the business of television than understanding the impact of DVRs on viewing behavior," says Todd Juenger, vice president and general manager of TiVo Audience Research & Measurement. "We believe CBS is taking advantage of a remarkable opportunity to help their clients assess and adapt their strategies in the age of the DVR."
TiVo's StopWatch service has been available to subscribers since February 2007, and is able to collect, measure and assess the clickstream behavior of a viewer. Clients can then access the interactive results online. Other subscribers include NBC Universal, The Interpublic Group, Starcom, Carat USA, Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Media IQ and Euro RSCG New York.