Field Reports1 Sep, 2007 By: Thomas Haire, Courtney Beth Pugatch Response
Previously to this marketing tactic, viewers on other sites were subjected to 15-second advertisements that would stream before the selected video clip would start. On YouTube, the ads will appear about 15 seconds into each clip as a 10-second "overlay" across the bottom of the ad. If a user opts to view the ad by clicking on the overlay, the video is paused and an ad runs.
"What we have come up with is a user-controlled ad format that is engaging," Eileen Naughton, Google's director for media platforms told the New York Times. "We want our users to be able to accept and choose what type of advertising they engage in."
By Courtney Beth Pugatch ( [email protected])
• Carat USA has merged with Carat Fusion (its interactive shop) and appointed the top two Fusion executives as CEO and president of the full-service agency. Sarah Fay assumed the CEO role at what will now be called Carat. Scott Sorokin became president of Carat. He was formerly president of Carat Fusion.
• The Chrysler automotive group has hired its first chief marketing officer. Deborah Wahl Meyer took the position, after formerly serving as vice president of marketing at Lexus. Meyer began her new job on Aug. 28, with Chrysler hoping she can bring "fresh eyes" to the company. In recent years, Chrysler lost its No. 3 spot in the American market with the ascendancy of the Toyota brand.
• Thane Direct and Global Delivery Services have agreed to dissolve Pan Regional Media Corp., also known as PanLatinoTV. The companies will create two separate media agencies focusing on the Latin American marketplace. Thane Direct will launch Media Latino Source. Global Delivery Services will launch Latino Media Services. Diana Duenas will be president of Media Latino Source, while longtime Response Editorial Advisory Board member Stan Bruckheim will lead Latino Media Services.
• CSI Commerce has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Accretive Commerce. The acquisition will significantly expand GSI's growing partner base to nearly 80 and add to its infrastructure. Under the definitive agreement, GSI will acquire Accretive Commerce for $97.5 million in cash.
• Clint Gearheart has joined Media Partners Worldwide as president and chief marketing officer. Gearheart previously served as senior vice president of sales at O'Currance Teleservices, and has 12 years of sales, marketing and executive experience.
• The Direct Response Academy's next DRTV Management Boot Camp seminar will be held Oct. 25-26, 2007. The seminar, which gives participants the opportunity to gain knowledge in product configuration, production, finances, media, telemarketing and fulfillment, will be held at the Allerton Hotel in Chicago. More information can be obtained by calling (512) 301-5900 or E-mailing [email protected].
• COREMedia Systems has hired: Louis Naclerio as vice president, business analysis; Randy Shumpert as vice president and product manager of long-form direct response television; and Tyree Stokely as new business analyst.
• Adam Hanks has accepted the position of vice president with Revenue Enhancements Consultants (REC). REC is a performance-based marketing company based in Portland, Maine.