Response Magazine Site Response Expo Site Direct Response Market Alliance Site Response TV Site Market Research Job Board

 

   Log in
  



Direct Response Marketing

Field Reports

1 Sep, 2004 By: Thomas Haire, Nicole Urso Response


The announcement comes as part of an ongoing relationship between NATPE and the ITA. The ITA annual meeting will now be co-located at the NATPE 2005, the association's annual event to be held in Las Vegas next January.

"As TV programming becomes increasingly interactive, our members will want to explore the new revenue streams provided by the new technologies. An alignment with the ITA is a shortcut to absorbing these skills," says Rick Feldman, NATPE president.

 

Beales Resigns From FTC Consumer Protection Post

WASHINGTON — In mid-July, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced that J. Howard Beales III, director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection, would be leaving his position at the Bureau to return to academic life as associate professor of strategic management and public policy at George Washington University. Beales stepped down on August 6.

 

Lydia B. Parnes, deputy director of the Bureau, has been named acting director.

"Howard has been an invaluable member of my senior management team and a trusted colleague," Muris says. "Under Howard's leadership, the Bureau of Consumer Protection aggressively attacked fraud and deception; strengthened consumer protections in critical areas such as privacy, telemarketing and identity theft; and implemented innovative, award-winning consumer education programs. Consumers everywhere have benefited from Howard's exceptional tenure as bureau director."

Beales' leadership of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection yielded notable law enforcement results, with the agency filing 258 federal district court cases and obtaining orders for nearly $1.3 billion in consumer redress, including the two largest consumer redress settlements in the Bureau's history. As part of the Commission's reformulated privacy agenda, Beales was a prime mover in managing the creation and implementation of the National Do Not Call Registry, which received unprecedented Congressional and consumer support.

 

Bush Dodges Senate to Appoint Majoras as New FTC Chairman

WASHINGTON — President Bush hurtled Senate barricades and appointed the new Federal Trade Commission Chairman, Deborah P. Majoras, on July 30. She was sworn into office on Aug. 16.

 

"I am deeply honored to be chairman of the FTC. It will be a privilege to serve with my fellow commissioners and the commission staff as we work tirelessly to protect and enhance consumer welfare," Majoras says.

Majoras' nomination was initially blocked by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) because he felt she would not take the appropriate measures to minimize the rising costs of gas prices. But the President, who nominated Majoras in May, was intent on securing the position for her and waited until the Senate left for its summer recess to appoint her.

Wyden will have to live with the decision at least until Majoras' recess appointment expires at the end of next year's session in 2005, but he said in a statement that he hopes this "un-democratic process" won't result in hurting consumers.

The new FTC chairman succeeds Timothy J. Muris, especially known in the DR industry for spearheading the do-not-call list, which prohibits telemarketers from contacting millions of people. Muris stepped down from the position after three years so he could pursue other opportunities at George Mason University's School of Law.

Majoras, a Republican from Virginia, previously served as principal deputy assistant attorney general at the Justice Department's Antitrust Division. She played a significant part in negotiating the settlement of the Microsoft Corp. antitrust case.

The President also appointed Jonathan Leibowitz as a commissioner. Leibowitz is a former Senate aide who is now a lobbyist at the Motion Picture Association of America.

 

FTC Slams Promenade LLC With Allegations, $2.4 million Penalty

WASHINGTON — The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announces the Aug. 13 filing of a complaint and consent decree against nine corporations, collectively known as Promenade, for violations of the FTC Act, the Telemarketing Sales Rule and the Electronic Funds Transfer Act. The complaint, filed in a California federal court, alleges the Los Angeles-based company misled consumers and made erroneous charges when selling various membership services. Promenade must pay a $2.4 million penalty.

 

1 2 3 4 


Add Comment




©2014 Questex Media Group LLC. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part is prohibited. Please send any technical comments or questions to our webmaster. Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Security Seals