There will not be an edition of Response This Week next week. We will return to your in-box on Wednesday, March 23.
Marketing Maven, a PR and social media agency, announces Agencia Content as its Latin American PR, social media, and content marketing partner.
TheBlaze broadcasted live from this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), the largest annual gathering of conservative activists, last week in National Harbor, Md.
The average tenure for chief marketing officers working for the biggest brands in the U.S. fell for the first time in a decade, according to new research from executive search firm Spencer Stuart. The average tenure for marketing chiefs fell to 44 months as of 2015, down from 48 months in the prior year.
Google pilots a new mobile payment app called “Hands Free” at select food service retailers in Silicon Valley. Hands Free uses Bluetooth low energy, Wi-Fi, and location services on a user’s phone to detect whether they are near a participating store. To make a payment, customers tell the cashier, “I’ll pay with Google.” The cashier then asks for their initials and uses the picture the consumer added to their Hands Free profile to confirm their identity.
According to iSpot.tv, from Jan. 1 through Feb. 29, travel website marketers spent an estimated $58.7 million on 25,563 national TV ad airings, yielding 6.1 billion ad impressions, of which 5.3 billion were live. The top five brands ranked by spend: Trivago, Expedia, Priceline, HomeAway, and Hotels.com.
Nielsen moves deeper into media planning services by acquiring Pointlogic, an analytics tool that helps agencies and marketers plan cross-platform media buys. The move comes as Nielsen prepares its Total Audience Measurement offering, which promises to provide a complete picture of how TV content is being viewed across platforms and devices.
Chain Store Guide’s Consumer Spending Report predicts a slowdown in spending during March because consumers are uneasy about the fluctuating stock market and the upcoming elections. On a positive note, indexes are close to their 12-month averages, pointing to stabilized consumer spending, while 80 percent of consumers polled reported personal finances as either “excellent,” “good,” or “fair.”
Accenture reports 17 percent of business executives worldwide say their companies are producing "enormous" volumes of digital content. Another 64 percent say they are producing "moderate" amounts of digital content, while 19 percent say they are producing "small" amounts. Overall, 83 percent say they plan to produce even more digital content during the next two years.
Media Technology Monitor reports mobile devices and connected TVs are becoming more common choices for digital TV viewers in Canada. Meanwhile, the desktop is becoming somewhat less common for this purpose.
comScore stock drops this week after the company said its directors received a message regarding “potential accounting matters.” The company launched an internal review, postponed its March 16 investor day, and suspended a share repurchase program.
Newsy, the millennial-focused OTT video news service, debuts on Sling TV, the live and on-demand, over-the-top platform. “[The move] brings our brand of news for younger Americans to a platform that is catering to those who don’t subscribe to traditional pay TV,” said Blake Sabatinelli, general manager of Newsy.
Cutting TV ad spending leads to much lower sales for most marketers, says a new study by consultancy 84.51° in partnership with TiVo Research, A+E Networks, and Turner Broadcasting. Sales dropped for 11 of 15 consumer packaged goods brands that cut TV spending in 2014. The total loss: $94 million. For every dollar cut from the TV budget, sales fell $3 dollars, the research found. Return on investment dropped as well. The average marketer reduced its ad budget by $3.1 million, resulting in lost sales of $8.6 million.