Smartphone Couponers Redeeming in Stores27 Aug, 2014 By: Doug McPherson
AUSTIN, Texas – New research says 68 percent of consumers strongly believe that digital coupons have a positive impact on a retailer’s brand and that coupons generate loyalty.
The report, from Forrester Consulting for RetailMeNot.com, says 59 percent of consumers who used a digital coupon within the past three months say those coupons were most likely to influence their purchase decision compared to other digital promotions. Also, a majority of consumers will redeem a digital coupon code within three days of receiving it.
Other findings include:
- 57 percent of digital couponers typically found deals via smartphones through E-mail; 55 percent found deals through search
- 64 percent said a digital promotion or a coupon often closes the deal if they are wavering or undecided on making a purchase
- 59 percent said that of all the different types of promotions a retailer can employ, digital coupons still sway them the most when it comes to influencing a purchase decision
- 91 percent of desktop users redeem a digital coupon within several days
- Nearly 30 percent of consumers used a digital coupon immediately upon receiving the offer
- 55 percent of smartphone coupon users will spend more money during their online or in-store visit – the majority at least $25 more
- 77 percent of customers will spend between $10 and $50 more than anticipated, and 17 percent will spend an extra $50 or more
Jill Balis, senior vice president of marketing for RetailMeNot Inc., says the study highlights how digital promotional strategies “are driving, and will continue to drive, meaningful positive impact on retailer sales through both E-commerce and in-store channels as mobile commerce grows.”
She says receiving a deal or savings opportunity via a digital coupon can be the tipping point for a consumer to click “buy” online or to walk into a store and make the purchase in person. Nearly 80 percent of respondents agreed that digital coupons “close the deal” for them when undecided on a purchase. Once a consumer receives a digital coupon, most are redeemed within several days.
eMarketer estimates that 59.2 million adult smartphone users in the United States will use their phones to redeem a mobile coupon for online or offline shopping in 2014 – a year-over-year rise of 37.5 percent. This represents 40 percent of the 18-and-older smartphone audience in the country.