Renker Headlines ‘Titans of Direct Response’ Event, Sept. 11-126 Aug, 2014 By: Thomas Haire
STAMFORD, Conn. – The direct, digital and data-driven marketing space welcomes a new event to its landscape next month and, based on the names involved, it’s a whopper. The Titans of Direct Response — featuring speakers like DR Hall of Famer Greg Renker, Joe Sugarman of Blublocker sunglasses fame, and “No B.S.” series author Dan Kennedy — is slated for Sept. 11-12 at the Stamford Marriott. VIP events will also occur on Sept. 10 and Sept. 13.
Brian Kurtz, executive vice president of Boardroom Inc., the brainchild of direct marketing legend Marty Edelston – who passed away in October 2013 – decided to host the event to honor Edelston’s memory by bringing together some of the most brilliant thinkers in the direct response and marketing business. Inspired by a note from Kennedy after Edelston’s passing, Kurtz reached back to Kennedy asking for his help.
“This was certainly a bold request,” Kurtz says. “But I had history – and Marty – on my side. I also had a concept to help thousands of people in both Dan’s and my world. Dan agreed, and ‘Titans’ was born.”
Kurtz says the event is not “for DR beginners,” but rather for DR pros – business owners, CEOs, executives, consultants and copywriters. And with a registration fee of $3,500, he needed to fill the docket with some big names.
Who will attendees hear from at the event?
- Kennedy, famous for his “No B.S.” books and newsletters that have influenced more than a million business owners per year. He earns fees of more than $75,000 plus royalties for his copywriting work in marketing.
- Renker, co-founder of Guthy-Renker and a 2013 inductee into the DR Hall of Fame. A DRTV pioneer and world-leading direct response titan, he’s known for brands like Proactiv Solution, Tony Robbins Personal Power and Principal secret.
- Sugarman, who sold more than 20 million Blublocker sunglasses.
- Gary Bencivenga, hailed as “America’s Best Copywriter,” who has spoken publicly only once before — at his own retirement seminar. He’s making his first and only exception to retirement to honor the memory of Edelston.
- Fred Catona, DR radio titan who helped grow Priceline.com, Disney Online and FreeCreditReport.com.
Renker talked about his reasons for taking part in the event in an exclusive interview with Response. “I’ve been friends and colleagues for some time with Brian and with Marty, but when I got a call from Dan Kennedy — one of the most important DR gurus in the history of the industry — with a special request to take part, I couldn’t say no,” he said.
Renker added that he’s just as excited to speak at the event as he is to sit in on other sessions. “I’m going because I want to learn,” he said. “We are pushing our script writers and creative partners to attend because there will be so much knowledge on the stage. Dan Kennedy? Joe Sugarman? It will be great to be with them and hear from them.”
Others on the schedule include business thought leader Jay Abraham, online seminar giant Ken McCarthy, social media guru Perry Marshall and a who’s-who group of copywriters that Kurtz says is responsible for more than 600 million pieces of profitable direct mail during the past 20 years: Eric Betuel, David L. Deutsch, Arthur Johnson and Parris Lampropoulos.
For more information on the event and VIP packages, visit www.titansofdirectresponse.com or call Beth Carpenter at (203) 973-6272.