Fla. AG Reaches Agreement With Lifestyle Lift on Ad Accuracy26 Jun, 2013 By: Doug McPherson
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi announced last week that her office has reached a settlement with Lifestyle Lift Holding Inc., a company that offers facial rejuvenation services. Bondi’s office had been investigating allegations about the accuracy and fairness of claims the company made in its ads about its services.
“Lifestyle Lift has agreed to change its marketing materials and practices to eliminate any possible consumer confusion about its services,” Bondi said.
Under the settlement, Lifestyle Lift must:
- Maintain necessary disclaimer language on the company’s websites in a clear and conspicuous manner
- Clearly and conspicuously state what facial rejuvenation services were performed on models appearing in its marketing materials
- Clearly and conspicuously disclose if a model has been compensated or has a material connection to the company if the model speaks or a quote is attributed to the model in the advertisement
- Comply with the FTC's Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising, with regard to the use of before and after photographs of models in marketing materials
- Cease using the term "revolutionary procedure" to describe the basic Lifestyle Lift surgical procedure
The settlement also dictates that Florida consumers who meet certain criteria are eligible to have deposits and any prepaid fees paid to Lifestyle Lift refunded.
The company, which bills itself as the largest private practice of board-certified plastic and facial plastic doctors in the U.S., advertises its services via multi-channel, direct-to-consumer advertising. Since 2001, Lifestyle Lift doctors have performed approximately 170,000 surgical and nonsurgical facial rejuvenation procedures.
Florida consumers who purchased services between June 1, 2009 and June 10, 2013 may be entitled to a refund. Eligible consumers are required to submit a claim form to the company postmarked no later than Sept. 8, 2013.