18-34 Year-Olds Wielding More Power with Recommendations14 Nov, 2012 By: Doug McPherson
SAN FRANCISCO – New research on mobile advertising among 18-34 year olds has found that half of all respondents regularly share sales offers with peers via smartphones, and 41 percent make purchase decisions based solely on recommendations from friends and family.
RadiumOne, a social advertising firm that conducted the study, says the 18-34 demographic, which some call "Generation C," is becoming one of the most elusive yet lucrative markets for brands.
"The results of our survey shed light into how brands can better communicate and interact with one of the most mobile and influential consumer groups of our time," said Kamal Kaur, vice president of mobile and display at RadiumOne. "Social sharing across trusted connections and viral buzz via smartphones and tablets are extremely influential to the Gen-C population, requiring new rules of engagement between brands and this highly sought after demographic."
- 47 percent of respondents indicated they have clicked on a mobile ad in the past three months.
- 54 percent made a purchase from a mobile device in the past six months. Of those, 32 percent made 1-3 purchases, 14 percent made 3-6 and 9 percent made 6+ purchases.
- 79 percent of respondents revealed that mobile purchases are largely driven by personal recommendations (41 percent) and sales-based content (38 percent).
- Half of the respondents (50 percent) used their smartphones to share offers such as coupons, sales and ads with friends.
- More than half (55 percent) of respondents used their mobile device to comparison shop at least once per week.
According to the findings, sharing offers with friends is not only a phenomenon of face-to-face interactions and desktop display channels, but it is also happening at a faster pace on consumers' mobile devices. The power to identify social connections, gain insight about consumer behavior on mobile devices, and analyze real-time interests enables brands to cater to the needs of this burgeoning demographic.