Editor’s Note: Welcome the Inaugural Inductees to the DR Hall of Fame!1 Feb, 2013 By: Thomas Haire Response
As we begin to bear down on Response Expo, which is slated for April 2-4 at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront, as usual my duties here begin to ratchet up quite a bit. I used to think putting together a monthly magazine was a full-time job — until I added the duties of content director for this expansive three-day event in 2007.
But, one of the great things about that role is the constant need to bring new ideas to our attendees. One of those ideas that is coming to fruition this April is our founding of the Direct Response Hall of Fame. This idea, which first came to us from Response Advisory Board member Richard Stacey of Toronto-based Northern Response Intl. Ltd., has been a few years in the making. But with Richard’s help — and that of our entire roster of advisors — we’re pleased to announce the inaugural class. They are:
- Jim Caldwell — marketer, producer and DR host
- Frank Cannella — media pioneer and founder of Cannella Response Television
- Bill Guthy & Greg Renker — a tandem induction as co-founders of Guthy-Renker Corp., one of the industry’s most successful and enduring marketers
- Kevin Joseph Lyons — network media sales pioneer at Lifetime and founder of Opportunity Media
- Joe Pedott — founder, Joseph Enterprises, which introduced the Chia Pet and The Clapper to TV consumers, among many others
- Ron Popeil — marketer and host for dozens of hit products, none more memorable than the “Set it and forget it!” Showtime Rotisserie
- Sy Sperling — founder and, perhaps more memorably, host of the Hair Club for Men show and product
- Syd Yallen — media pioneer and founder of Inter/Media Advertising
Not only will this group of leaders be saluted during a special event on the Expo Hall floor at Response Expo on Thursday, April 4, but a number of them will also participate on a panel earlier that afternoon at the show, sharing their expertise, memories and vision for the industry’s future in what’s sure to be a can’t miss educational session.
Each of these inductees — and the dozens of other nominees we received from the Advisory Board that will surely keep us busy with the DR Hall of Fame for years to come — carved their own niche in the direct response marketing business during the past three decades and helped grow what was once a fledgling marketing method into a $300 billion annual business.
Along with a keynote address from legendary basketball coach Bob Knight, the Expo’s always-packed networking events and much more, the DR Hall of Fame induction is yet another reason you just can’t miss Response Expo. I urge you to visit www.responseexpo.com today to make sure you join us to salute these legends.
— Thomas Haire, Editor-in-Chief